Melissa Jacobs of MJ Accountants talks us through key points to consider when making this important decision.
Choosing an external accountant for your business is an important decision, as your accountant becomes an important “partner” in your business. We have put together a list of the top five factors to consider when choosing your accountant.
Did you feel a connection when meeting with your prospective accountant? It is true that people do business with people they like and trust. Since the accountant performs such an important role in your business, it is critically important that you like them and have rapport with them as they are going to be the custodian of your numbers in terms of reporting and compliance.
2. Track Record
Always do your homework on your prospective accountant before appointing them. Ask them for references and call a few of their existing clients. Ask specific questions about the things that are important to you. Avoid general questions, as this will only give you vague feedback. Ask the references if they would re-appoint their accountant given the chance.
You want to choose an accountant that is highly responsive to your emails and phone calls. We often take on new clients where the reason for leaving their past accountants was due to a lack of communication and responsiveness. Ask your prospective accountant what their turnaround time on emails and phone calls are – hold them to this. You want an accountant that is available when you need them and not one that you have to chase for feedback.
Ensure your accountant has strong skills and expertise in tax. You want them to advise and help you structure your affairs in the most tax efficient way. They need to be proactive and not reactive when it comes to matters of tax.
5. Latest Legislation
Not only will a good accountant keep you up to date with upcoming changes to the law, but they will also be able to tell you exactly how they will impact your business and how you can best prepare for them.
Why Choose US?
We believe the following five points are our key strengths:
- Qualified – With two Chartered Accountants on our team, you can rest assured you are going to get accurate and sound financial information about your business.
- Budget Conscious – We understand the plight of small to medium size enterprises and offer a range of services to suit all budgets.
- Tax – We are strong on tax and will look to maximise your tax efficiency within the legal parameters of the law.
- Deadline Driven – We will always get everything done on time.
- Personalised Service – We are not just number crunchers, we focus on getting to know our clients and building long term relationships with them.
Our Offer to You
A complimentary consultation to review your current financial and tax position and to make some recommendations for improvement. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to book your consultation.
Visit www.mjacc.co.za for more info.