Blackwood’s Assagay at your service!
Blackwood’s originated in Richmond as a seedling growing nursery for vegetables and flowers, and embarked on a retail journey by opening Blackwood’s Home of Gardening in Pietermaritzburg 15 years ago.
Currently there are four retail outlets; in Pietermaritzburg, Howick, Richards Bay and the latest addition, Assagay – which took over Dieters Nursery in 2019, expanding plant selling areas and adding extra parking space.
Gerald Schofield looks after sales and marketing for Blackwood’s, and is currently managing the Assagay branch – which prides itself in having Upper Highway’s largest selection of indigenous plants. “We have a completely separate indigenous plant section – a nursery within a nursery,” he explains. There are many housing estates being built locally where indigenous gardens are emphasised or required. For landscapers or private customers, Blackwood’s Assagay offers advice, source plants, give free quotes and can assist with delivery.
Blackwood’s Assagay also offers indoor plants, veggies, herbs and fruit trees, as well as ornamental trees and shrubs. There’s also a lovely selection of pots and containers – large and small, along with organics, fertilisers and pesticides, and a convenient delivery service.
“The ambiance and atmosphere is without doubt what makes us unique,” says Gerald. “It’s rustic and homely, people who visit us feel like they have come out in the country.” The friendly staff and free product information is also a bonus, and Gerald is a fountain of wisdom and happy to help.
What Makes Blackwood’s Assagay Unique
- We are very different to the other Blackwood’s branches; large and expansive.
- Plants are our main focus; volume, variety and value.
- We have many different plant sections or departments – such as cacti and succulents, shade plants, indoor pot plants, azaleas, camellias, hydrangeas. This makes for ease of shopping.
- We focus on introducing new plants and products into the local gardening market.
- We have the benefit of being supplied from the growing nursery in Richmond, as well as having a propagation facility close by at Assagay.
- Our edible gardening features are prominent, with a range of fruit trees, sub-tropical fruits, citrus, berries, herbs and vegetable seedlings – complemented by a full range of Kirchhoff’s seeds.
On the first Friday of every month, you get 10% off all purchases!
FOR MORE INFO: 4 Bona Terra Road, Assagay; www.blackwoods.co.za.