Fordoun is all about the spoils and attention to detail, writes Katrine Anker-Nilssen.
Driving down the tree-lined road to Fordoun creates an instant sense of peace, and sets the tone for a lovely weekend getaway. Here nothing is spared in order to make you feel pampered, relaxed and completely at home.
7 THINGS THAT MAKE FORDOUN UNIQUE:
1. Fordoun is a working farm. Along with its free-range chickens, there are the 120 head of Angus cross Hereford cattle that need to be fed and looked after, bee hives that need maintaining, vegetable gardens that need tendering, and lands that need to be worked.
2. The five-star accommodation in the hotel is complemented by a fine dining restaurant, world-class spa, and conference and wedding venue together with the self-catering accommodation at the Farm Village.
3. One of the directors at the spa is a traditional African healer, a herbalist, an ethno-botanist and an inyanga.
4. Wine connoisseurs will be left in awe by the wine collection of over 63 local estate wines, sparkling wines and French champagnes, all personally selected by owner Jon Bates.
5. Local is lekker… At Skye Bistro, fresh, mostly local produce is sourced and used by chef Jono Kalika and his team, who take great pride in preparing all meals with care and attention to detail.
6. Golfing, mountain biking, horse riding, hot air ballooning and exploring the renowned Midlands Meander tourist route are some – but not all – of the outdoor activities available in the area.
7. The trout dam in front of the hotel is constantly stocked and is reserved for the exclusive use of hotel guests – on request.
FOR MORE INFO: