Physiotherapist and body coach Christy Ann shares five tips for choosing activewear to suit your workouts.
It doesn’t matter what time of the year it is, it’s never too late to start working out. Exercise is one of the best things you can do for your health and well-being, and choosing the correct activewear is beneficial for your workout journey.
ChristyAnn.Fit is passionate about keeping fit and healthy, and has developed her own range of activewear that’s not only stylish to look at, but has been designed to be comfortable, supportive and offers quality – everything a woman needs to get in shape.
With all the different options on the market today, it can be difficult to know where to start. Don’t worry. Here are five pointers to consider.
1. The fabric: Choosing the right fabric is essential for your exercises as not all workout gear is the same.
Low-quality items often end up overheating your body as they are not designed to handle intense sweat sessions and hold in all the moisture, making you feel uncomfortable. If you tend to have intense sweat sessions or do workout sessions outdoors, opt for fabrics that pull moisture away from your skin so that the sweat can evaporate, which in turn will help keep your body temperature down.
2. Form and fit: If your clothes are too tight or too baggy, then you probably will not end up wearing them and may even lose motivation to work out.
While the clothes you choose will depend on the type of sessions you do, we all know the importance of a good sports bra. You are going to want to ditch that strappy top if you’re doing high-impact workouts, like HIIT, and choose something that not only allows a full range of motion, but also “holds” everything in place.
3. Think about flexibility: Workout gear is meant to be comfortable for a full range of motions as well as to support your body. Think about the movements you will do – it is not just the fabric, but also the fit that allows you to move so easily.
For leg workouts or cardio, shorts are great, and for yoga, leggings are often a popular choice. For leggings, I recommend doing a squat test to check out the quality. If you can squat comfortably and the leggings don’t become see-through or expose your bottom, you have yourself a winner.
Make sure you feel comfortable enough to move freely without feeling restricted. They should not be too tight or loose, but should rather fit snugly without bunching up at the bottom or falling down.
In addition, leggings are comfortable and versatile, and provide the right level of support and coverage.
When choosing leggings, it is important to find a style that flatters your figure. One of our best-selling styles – the ombre range – has been designed with a high waistband to offer you a flattering and comfortable fit. The quality fabric is thick and soft to the touch, and has a supportive but luxurious feel, making them perfect for a workout or even for running errands.
4. Quality is more important when choosing the right leggings: Quality is key when shopping for leggings. It is important to find a pair that fits well, feels comfortable, and looks good. If you’re looking for something that will last longer than just one season, it might be worth considering buying a pair that has been made from durable, quality material.
5. You need to feel good: One of the most important things when working out is that you need to feel good in your activewear. For some of us, looking good makes us feel good.
I started my activewear range for women to be motivated to work out, and to feel and look good in their activewear. From a range of high-quality activewear legging sets with high-support sports bras, trendy active shorts for hot summer days, to swimwear – we have you covered with a vast selection to choose from.