A semi-finalist for Mrs South Africa 2022, Shan Fourie is the official wellness influencer for Gateway Theatre of Shopping. Here she shares her top five wellness must-haves.
Shan Fourie – wellness content partner for Gateway – is a Durban-based lifestyle blogger/influencer with a background in marketing who began blogging in 2018. With an Instagram following that has grown significantly, Shan uses her platform to share brands and businesses as well as to raise awareness and funds for causes and initiatives close to her heart.
For Shan, she believes that wellness is all-encompassing – mental, physical and emotional. She believes it is important to keep your life clean of toxicity, and self-care is her number one priority.
Shan is an ambassador for The SA Bone Marrow Registry, the Red Movement (eradicating period poverty), and the voice for the oppressed for the Rise Up Movement, an NPO that stands against GBV, child abuse, and human trafficking.
Rawbiotics Gut Correct
Your gut is the foundation of everything – it aids in the digestion of the foods you eat and absorbs nutrients our body needs to function. A healthy gut contributes to a strong immune system, heart health, brain health, improved mood, healthy sleep, and effective digestion. R299,95 for 1 litre from Wellness Warehouse.
The Harvest Table Collagen Granules
The benefits of taking collagen are endless. I have been using The Harvest Table Collagen Granules every day for the past three years and have noticed improved skin texture, strong and healthy hair and nails, and overall well-being. Taking pure collagen can aid the digestive system; I also find it supports weight management by reducing blood sugar and boosts your metabolism. R834,95 for 700g.
A great pair of sneakers is essential for busy, on-the-go people, and Adidas has the finest selection of sneakers that cross the bridge of being great with leisurewear and incredible running/training shoes. Anyone who follows me knows I LOVE my kicks! These Adidas Ultraboost shoes have a water-repellent upper, a “boost” in the midsole energises your stride, and the rubber outsole offers extraordinary grip. Also made in part with recycled content generated from production waste. I am obsessed with anything leopard and anything neon-coral, so these are a match made in heaven! R3,499.
I am all about finding inner peace and tranquillity – and something that helps me with that is essential oils. The Peace Essential oil from Spa Ceylon is beautiful – and a top seller. Peace is a unique blend of essential oils to promote total peace and harmony. Organic Lemongrass helps calm and balance the senses, promoting inner peace. Soothing Lavender gently relaxes, while precious Spiked Lavender helps restore tranquillity. Pure Peppermint cools the body and helps clarify the senses.
For Aromo veda benefits: At bedtime, mix three drops with 25ml water into a Spa Ceylon oil burner, leave to heat and let the aroma spread all round the bedroom. Can also be used in a diffuser. Helps to promote deep restful sleep. R419.
Because wellness is all-encompassing and feeds your body, mind and soul, I feel it so important to learn, grow and transform as human beings (not just human-doings). My current read is Atlas of the Heart by Brené Brown – a guide to understanding your emotions and learning how to regulate them. We all experience strong emotions, but most of us can’t identify what it is we’re feeling, or work out where the feelings come from.
This book promises to help develop your emotional vocabulary and transform your relationship with yourself, and the people around you. R484.
Shan Fourie’s Wellness Tips
- Meditation and taking time out to just be in the moment is so very important for your well-being. It helps to ground you, bring a sense of calm and balance to your life, which is often very frenetic and busy.
- Including breathing exercises when meditating or before falling asleep at night helps to calm you and bring you into a deeper sleep state. I’ve been taught the four-seven-eight breathing technique: breathe in for four, hold for seven, and out for eight. It is amazing – try it.
- Practicing yoga is one of my number one wellness tips. Yoga brings breathing and exercise together in such a way that helps you not only stay fit physically, but also releases tension and stress psychologically. It truly helps ground me.
- Never underestimate the power of a long, hot bath with beautiful oil or salts. My current favourite bath oil is one from Babylonstoren in the winelands. Find one that makes you feel peaceful, grounded and relaxed. Lavender is fabulous for this.
- It’s no secret that true health starts in your body and mind. What you put into your body is just as important as what you put into your mind. Remove toxicity from your life, whether it be Instagram accounts that leave you feeling unworthy, or people who bring more negativity into your life than positive, as these things no longer serve you. Self-preservation is vital.
- When it comes to what you put into your body, drinking loads of water is number one on the list. A minimum of two litres a day will help flush toxins, keep your cells hydrated and help your gut to work properly.
- I try to start most days with a green juice. Celery alone is brilliant, but if you can’t quite stomach that then a mix of celery, spinach, half an avo, an apple and some cucumber is brilliant. I like to add Harvest Table Nutrafy collagen for uneven skin tone into my green juice.
- It’s important to find the time for a regular massage – every six weeks is ideal. It helps relieve stress and tension that builds up in the muscles before they start creating serious pain and discomfort.
- I highly recommend prioritising regular facials with skin specialists to keep your skin healthy. Also take their guidance on what to use on your skin. Healthy skin = products best suited to your needs.
- Carve out time to spend time with friends and those who fill your soul with sunshine. We all need to feel loved and love on one another. Isolating yourself due to being “too busy” can easily lead to feelings of depression. Spend time with people who leave you walking in sunshine.
- Practice gratitude. This isn’t always easy, especially when we feel like we are barely keeping our heads above water, but when it comes down to the basic human needs, we have so much to be grateful for. The sun that rises every day. The air we have to fill our lungs and cells with life. Love – that we can freely give and receive. I assure you that by practicing an attitude of gratitude you will soon see how your outlook changes and will start to notice more goodness around you. You’ll start to appreciate more moments.
- Lastly, splash out every so often on something that makes you happy – whether be a beautiful candle, a new make-up product you’ve been saving for, or a fragrance that makes you feel happy. Fragrance is such a powerful way of changing mood and evoking emotions due to its ability to influence our brain.