With many of us moving back into the workplace, now is the time learn how you can maintain a healthy mind and body in order to be productive at work. Given that a healthy body and brain enable you to function at your best, it is essential to take both into account.
“Having a job can be beneficial to an individual in many aspects. However, some people experience substantial workplace stress, which jeopardises their health,” says Omy Naidoo, co-founder of Newtricion Wellness Dieticians.
Employees often complain that work-related stress negatively impacts their performance and health. Research conducted by the South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) shows that more than 40% of all work-related illnesses are caused by work-related stress, major depression, burnout and anxiety disorders.
In this regard, maintaining brain health can help you stay balanced and productive at work. “Maintaining a healthy mind and body is essential,” adds Omy. Likewise, healthy practices can still help people keep a healthy brain even when a variety of factors – such as age and genetics – have an impact on brain health.
Here are 5 tips on how you can maintain a healthy mind at work:
- Take breaks frequently: You do not have to stay at your desk the entire day to remain productive. Ensure you take breaks frequently to be able to refocus your mind and have a fresh outlook on your work. In order to retain a healthy mind and body, normalise getting some fresh air and eating healthy foods during your break time.
- Get enough sleep: Ensure you sleep at least eight hours a day. Getting sufficient sleep the night before work can help you stay focused and productive. The best way to improve the quality of your sleep is to create a bedtime routine and limit your distractions. As a result, you will be less likely to feel tired during the workday.
- Make exercise a part of your daily routine: Your physical health and energy can be boosted by exercising throughout the day. Taking a walk during your break can be a simple way to exercise to maintain a healthy mind and body. Exercising can be beneficial for your mental health, and will improve your memory, brain function, and stress relief.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Keeping your mind healthy is as important as keeping your body healthy. A well-balanced diet can contribute to brain and body health in this regard since it will have a significant impact on how you function on a daily basis. Furthermore, eating well can help improve your concentration and memory as well as protect you from mental health problems such as depression and anxiety.
- Manage stress: Being stressed can lead to forgetfulness and disorganisation, affecting productivity at work. You may feel depressed, lose concentration, have difficulties remembering, or difficulty paying attention. In order to maintain a healthy mind, it is recommended that you deal with stress.
“Many people now recognise the significance of physical health but do not give their mental health the same attention. This causes many of us to overlook that having a healthy mind has a significant impact on how your brain works on a daily basis. Thus, in order to maintain your productivity at work, it is crucial that you look after both your physical and mental health,” concludes Omy.